The Khunjerab Pass
The Khunjerab Pass
The Khunjerab Pass is situated on the northern areas of Pakistan i.e. Gilgit, Baltistan. This pass also located to the southwest border of China(Xinjiang region). Khunjerab Pass is a high mountain pass that exists between the Karakoram mountain ranges. The height of this pass is about 4,693 meters or 15,397 feet.
The name Khunjerab has come from Wakhi language as Khun means blood and Jerav means falling water or spring.
The Khunjerab Pass is the highest paved for International borders crossing in the world. The roadway that gives the way to this pass was basically finished in 1982 and the other passes for Karakoram ranges would be suspended at that time.
The southwest side of the Khunjerab pass covers the China National Highway. This side is about 130km from Tashkurgan, 420km from Kashgar and 18,90knm from Urumqi.
The pass is safe to use during the summers however in winters, the pass becomes covered with snow. The snow causes much disturbance in the crossing of high vehicles over the pass. There’s a bus service on the Khunjerab pass that completes the journey from Gilgit to Kashgar.
Construction of Railway
Many times it was decided to construct the railway station at the Khunjerab pass so that the traveling of China to Gilgit can become easy. In 2007 the consultants decided to construct a railway. In 2009 research has done for the construction of railway line from Havelian in Pakistan to Kashgar in Xinjiang.
However, until now, no construction has been started over this. The current CPEC plan still doesn’t include the construction of a railway station over the Khunjerab pass.
- When the rain happens over this pass, only the large trucks can go on it. All the other small vehicles have prohibited to cross it. During the winter season, the Khunjerab pass becomes all cover with the snow thus leading very dangerous conditions for traveling. From November till May the pass remains closed.
- There’re large potholes on the road which could very harmful for your vehicles. This hole can pop a tire, crack a trim or screw the car alignment. Whenever the long rainfall occurs the roads also becomes close. The local flash floods come on the road from the nearby rivers and streams.
- The Police has made many policies for passage on the Khunjerab pass and these are all for safety measurements. It is advisable to not take the car solely instead you should go with 4 cars together. However, you can go on a coaster van as well.
- There’re many difficult sections of the road that become impassable when the road becomes wet. To avoid any accident, the drivers have recommended using 4WD to safe the journey from the uneven surface. During the windy storm, traveling also becomes dangerous on this pass.
- The landslides may occur on this road during the windy and the rainy season. Along the sides of the road, the surface of the ground may become loose. A large number of cautions have to be taken to drive carefully on the road. The Besham on the Khunjerab pass contains the rough surfaces and it is stubbornness.
- The passengers have always advised taking the journey during the day time. If you’ve started your journey in the evening then you should stay at Chillas during the night and start the journey again in the morning.